Monday, October 8, 2012

chocolate & coffee layer cake.

I have a weird confession, I don't like making layered cakes because I have no patience for it. I hate having to cut open the cake and wait for it to cool before putting the filling in (same with icing, which explains why sometimes it looks more like a pool of icing than proper icing...) but because my boyfriend was adamant about having a layered cake for our birthday party I decided I would wait it out and make him what he wanted.

I decided to make a classic chocolate cake with coffee filling, my two favourite things (I have a lot of favourite things..) - so here is my chocolate and coffee layered cake.

This recipe makes 8-10 pieces.

INGREDIENTS:
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • 125ml boiling water
  • 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 1½ cup self-raising flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 100ml milk
  • 250g mascarpone cheese
  • 85g icing sugar
  • 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 2 teaspoons hot water

METHOD:
  1. Preheat oven to 190˚C
  2. Sift cocoa powder into bowl and stir in boiling water to make a paste - set bowl aside to cool
  3. In a separate, large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy
  4. Slowly add in sugar to butter mix until light and fluffy
  5. Gradually beat in eggs and vanilla essence
  6. Fold in sifted flour, baking soda and salt into butter mixture
  7. Mix in milk
  8. When thoroughly mixed, pour mixture into greased round cake tin (approx. 20cm diameter)
  9. Bake until skewer comes out clean
  10. Once cooked, tip cake out onto cooling rack and cut in half to cool
Coffee Filling Method:
  1. Beat the mascarpone with sifted icing sugar and coffee together until smooth and creamy
  2. Once cake has been cooled, evenly spread filling on base and pop the top of the cake back on top
  3. Voila! The cake is complete! Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee or tea for the perfect afternoon treat :)
Photobucket
facebook | twitter | instagram | bloglovin'

1 comment:

  1. Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be at
    the web the easiest factor to take note of. I say to
    you, I certainly get irked while people consider concerns
    that they just don't know about. You managed
    to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , folks can take a
    signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

    Look at my website - Green Coffee Cleanse Review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every comment and I will try to answer any questions. Please note, every comment is moderated before published and any rude or spam comments will be deleted.

xo
margaret

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...