Tuesday, October 2, 2012

jam donut cupcakes.

I did not try my first jam donut until I was 20, and the first bite was absolutely heavenly. My only qualm with donuts are the fact they're deep fried, so I thought it'd try to bake my favourite naughty treat and voila, this is my jam donut cupcake!

This recipe makes 18 cupcakes.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 cups self-raising flour - I only had 2 cups of self-raising (because I ran out...) so I substituted the remaining 2 cups with plain flour and 1½ tablespoon of baking soda
  • 1¼ caster sugar + 6 tablespoons to coat
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 350ml buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoon vanilla essence
  • jam - I used blackberry jam
  • 50g unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

METHOD:
  1. Preheat oven to 180˚C
  2. Sift flour in bowl, add a pinch of salt (I did 5 twists of ground salt) and the caster sugar
  3. In a jug, combine canola oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla
  4. Add slowly to dry mixture until combined well
  5. Place enough mixture just to cover the base of muffin hole
  6. Place two to three teaspoon of jam - I only used one for this round and there was NOT enough jam
  7. Cover the jam with a tablespoon of mixture
  8. Bake for about 15mins - check that the mixture is cooked through
  9. Melt the butter in a bowl
  10. In a separate bowl, mix the additional caster sugar and ground cinnamon
  11. Once cupcakes a cool to handle, brush the cupcake with melted butter then roll into the cinnamon sugar mixture
  12. Voila! Now they're ready to be nom-ed! I had some thickened cream sitting in the fridge so I whipped it up and turned it into whipped cream to serve with it.
Whipped Cream Method:
This bit is super easy:
  1. Pour cream into bowl
  2. Whip until thick, whipped cream texture - this could take a while if you're hand-whipping, so don't fret it nothing seems to happen for at least 5 minutes. If you're using an electric whisk, be very careful not to over-whip!
Photobucket
facebook | twitter | instagram | bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every comment and I will try to answer any questions. Please note, every comment is moderated before published and any rude or spam comments will be deleted.

xo
margaret

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...