Thursday, March 28, 2013

cheesecake easter eggs.

It's been a while since I've done a recipe post and I apologise. I've been so ridiculously broke recently I couldn't afford even the simplest ingredients to whip up something. BUT seeing as it's Easter I decided to spend the little I had saved up for a cute little recipe I saw on Dear Gladys.

This recipe makes approximately 24 eggs (6cm x 4cm).

INGREDIENTS:
  • 24 hollow Cadbury easter eggs
  • 225g lemon flavoured cream cheese, softened - if you don't have lemon flavoured just add ½ teaspoon of lemon juice)
  • ½ cup icing sugar
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 300ml thickened cream
  • 2 passionfruits - passionfruits were expensive so I bought a can of passionfruit pulp
  • 30g apricot jam
  • 30g unsalted butter
METHOD:
  1. Using a serrated knife (I used a steak knife), carefully remove the tops of the chocolate eggs - as it has been ridiculously hot I had my chocolate eggs in the fridge overnight, so use a cup of hot water to heat the knife up so you can actually cut the egg without crushing it completely).
  2. Place the eggs in the fridge to keep them chilled as you make the cheesecake filling. I used a empty egg carton to hold the eggs.
  3. Mix cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric beater until smooth and fluffy. Set aside.
  4. Whip the thickened cream in a separate bowl until stiff peaks - be careful of over-whipping and therefore splitting the cream.
  5. Gently whisk and combine the thickened cream with the cream cheese mixture until smooth.
  6. Carefully spoon or pipe the mixture into the eggs.
  7. Chill eggs for at least 30 minutes to allow for it to set.
  8. Strain passionfruit pulp to remove seeds and place in a small saucepan with apricot jam and butter.
  9. On low heat, whisk until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and place in fridge until it thickens slightly.
  10. Using the tip of a sharp knife, carve out a hole in the centre of the cheesecake mixture approximately 1cm wide and high. Fill hole with passionfruit filling. Return eggs to fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
  11. Remove eggs approximately 10 minutes before serving. VOILA! A tasty treat for Easter!
  12. Note: Eggs can be made 2-3days in advance. Just keep the eggs in an airtight or tightly cling-wrapped container to prevent them from drying out.
Photobucket
facebook | twitter | instagram | bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every comment and I will try to answer any questions. Please note, every comment is moderated before published and any rude or spam comments will be deleted.

xo
margaret

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...