Monday, November 12, 2012

apple pie.

My favourite winter dessert would have to be the apple pie. Luckily, Sydney's weather is a bit bipolar so I can still get away with making/eating apple pie in spring ;) My love for apple pies first started in Year 11 when I fell in love with the pie maker, Lee Pace, from my favourite TV show Pushing Daisies. I would frequently buy whole (full-sized) apple pies from my local Woolies and plonk down in front of the TV and polish it off while watching Pushing Daisies. However, Woolies frozen food being Woolies frozen food, it never tasted or looked as good as what the lanky pie maker was making on the show. I didn't even consider making apple pies until second year university when my baking was reignited!

So, here's my very simple apple pie recipe. Best serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream ;)

This recipe makes approx. 8-10 slices.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 10 Granny Smith apples
  • Two squares of short crust pastry - I promise to start making this one day, I just have some left over in the freezer
  • Ground cinnamon
  • ½ cup caster sugar
  • ¼ cup water

METHOD:
  1. Preheat oven to 180˚C
  2. Lay over one sheet of short crust pastry on tart tin, trimming the excess
  3. Poke holes on the base and place baking paper over base and pour out baking beans, or rice and place in oven until lightly golden
  4. While base is cooking, skin and core apples, and cut into wedges (or dice them, depends on what you like)
  5. Put apples, sugar, cinnamon and water into large saucepan over medium heat, stir regularly and don't let the sugar burn! Burnt sugar is very bitter.
  6. Once all the apples have soften, pour apple mixture into tart tin
  7. Place second sheet of short crust over the top of the apple pie, fork down the edges
  8. Put three slits on the top of the pie
    Optional: decorate with three leaves made out of the excess pastry
  9. Put pie in oven until golden brown
  10. VOILA! Your apple pie is ready to be devoured! Scoop a bit of vanilla ice-cream and enjoy the warm treat!
Image courtesy of @lpmmags Instagram
Photobucket
facebook | twitter | instagram | bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every comment and I will try to answer any questions. Please note, every comment is moderated before published and any rude or spam comments will be deleted.

xo
margaret

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...