Tuesday, November 20, 2012

spinach & feta pastizzis.

I first made this recipe for a picnic I had with my friends three years ago and ever since this has been my renown dish that I whip out whenever I need to bring food - well before I started baking dessers... Many of my friends are vegetarian so this recipe was perfect for picnic days so everyone could have some.

This recipe makes 40 small, 20 big pastizzis.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 brown onions, diced
  • [amount] g chopped spinach - I use frozen, so make sure you defrost and strain it before use
  • 2 eggs, lightly whisked
  • [amount] g feta cheese
  • [amount] g cottage cheese
  • 10 sheets of puff pastry
  • 50g of unsalted butter, melted

METHOD:
  1. Preheat oven to 180˚C
  2. Dice brown onions, and defrost and chop spinach
  3. Brown onions in a pan, then add chopped spinach
  4. Once spinach is lightly cooked, add eggs, feta and cottage cheese
  5. Once cheese has melted, set mixture aside to cool
  6. Cut pastry into in or into 4 strips, spoon a bit of cooled mixture onto one end and fold into triangle down the strip
  7. Place pastizzis onto oven tray lined with baking paper, lightly brush melted butter over pastizzi
  8. Pop into oven until golden
  9. VOILA! Take them to a picnic, or just kick back with a pastizzi...or five.
  10. Note: You don't have to bake them all at once as it does make a fair bit. You can have them set on the oven tray without butter and pop into the fridge for a day or two before baking. Just brush the butter on before baking :)
Image courtesy of @lpmmags Instagram
Photobucket
facebook | twitter | instagram | bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every comment and I will try to answer any questions. Please note, every comment is moderated before published and any rude or spam comments will be deleted.

xo
margaret

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...